Sunday, November 05, 2006

Karl Lagerfeld on France

Karl Lagerfeld was called upon to critique the state of France for a recent Paris Match article. Here is what he had to say:

"Has work become so unexciting that over 35 hours on the job is hell? I admit that there are boring and horrible jobs. But for others, what a lack of passion and spirit. In my case, 35 hours a week is what I rest."

"Just 15 years ago, when I left Paris for two weeks, I felt I'd miss something. Not now. I have more fun in New York than Paris. When I'm not in Paris, I tend to forget it. Without a doubt it's because the French have become too reasonable….[Paris] is beautiful but it has no verve."

"Not all is lost, though. Paris remains fashion's "international platform... still, after all these years, I don't feel Parisian. I'm at home everywhere. All I need is a hotel room. I don't need roots. It's for that reason fashion suits me so well. I make, I unmake, I remake…."

According to wwd.com, Lagerfeld calls France stultified and says it has lost prestige because of a reticence to change and lack of moxie.

I guess this explains Lagerfeld's current obession with America. He held his Cruise Show in New York and shot his recent ads in Los Angeles.

Photo: wwd.com

No comments: