Thursday, November 02, 2006

Viktor & Rolf for H&M


First it was Karl Lagerfeld, then Stella McCartney and to one's surprise comes Viktor & Rolf. I think the hype that was spurred with Karl Lagerfeld is unprecedented and will never be of that level again. However, I think that the collaboration with V&R is a true pairing of the extremes. On one end is avant-garde, on the other is mainstream. I think the H&M model, that of bringing high-end designs to the masses is one that respects the dignity of its origin and I think that it is a fantastic way for a three-way communion. The three-way meaning - the retailer receives mass exposure, the designer opens up a new channel of distribution and the customer has the opportunity to buy a designer brand they most likely would not have access to otherwise. I also believe that this strategy diminishes the need for knock-offs. I do not mean the Canal St. kind (that is another story) but the mass merchant kind, where the shirt you buy at your favorite retailer was a knock off from the runway. In any case I am anxious for the collection to launch on November 9th. I can't wait to get my hands on some of those pieces.


Photo: h&m.com

No comments: