Sunday, May 06, 2007

News Brief: The New YSL Girl

Gisele Bündchen may have lost her Victoria's Secret wings but has quickly replaced her angel occupation with YSL. Bündchen has been plucked by Stefano Pilati as the new face for Yves St Laurent. The YSL fall/winter 2007 campaign will feature a sexily clad Bundchen gallivanting throughout the streets of Paris by night. The ads (as what I can see from the photo preview) seem to be a change of pace from the rather repetitive, structured off beat tone the house has been favoring for the past two years.

WWD reported: "Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin captured Bündchen cavorting in the streets of Paris at night. According to Pilati, that's a moment ripe with possibility, when a woman can pursue a "double life" — should she be so inclined."

I am happy that the house, or rather Pilati, is injecting a much needed dose of intrigue, sexiness, glamour and luxury into the advertising.

I love ads that inherit some sort of dreamlike essence to them. Advertising, I think, is meant to sell, and not necessarily the featured clothing but the experience that comes when wearing the clothes.

I believe we all need to dream, especially when the world around us is being drowned with hardship, we all need that little something to take us away... and I believe that fashion advertising has that power. I am quite excited for the fall/winter ad campaigns, especially YSL. And yes, why can't I dream that I can one day be a Gisele frolicking about the streets of Paris at night?

Photo: wwd.com

No comments: