Wednesday, February 14, 2007

SI Boasts a Bootylicious Beyoncé

Well, it's not Vogue but it is America's most attention seizing magazine, Beyoncé is Sports Illustrated’s March cover girl. Their annual swimsuit issue always boasts such bootylicious beauties and this month they are no farther than the exact definition of bootylicious than with Beyoncé.

I think the photos of her are fantastic. She looks amazing. Her body is certainly shapely (and beautiful) and is on display for all the world to see. That's right world, it’s out with the skinnies, and in with the curvaceous queens.

Firstly, I think that more women can relate to a body type like Beyoncé’s, and secondly, I think that it looks more aesthetically pleasing to the eye to see a “healthy” girl smiling bountifully into the camera in her skivvies, than some boney anorexic looking individual. Ok, that may not have sounded right and I will probably be dammed that I have just said that, but this is how I truly feel about the whole thing.

Sure there once was a time when I wanted to be boney skinny and for years I was so, so unhappy with my body, always wanting to loose 5 or 10 pounds but now, and for the past couple of years my perceptions about my body have changed. I guess perhaps it has something to do with age, as you get older you accept more things but I also think it has something to do with society’s embrace of girls like Beyoncé, Jennifer Lopez, Tyra, Salma Hayek, and the like (o gosh I am missing a ton). I think these women better represent real women than any runway model and these women should be on that runway (but that’s another issue altogether).

To be honest living in 2007 and fully aware of all the different sorts of health issues out there, I don’t get the whole Nicole Richie factor. I don’t understand why Ms. Richie and her Hollywood get-along gang are so skinny. I just don’t get it. It’s really time they, as well as the rest of the world, just get over it.

Side Note: I know that there are naturally skinny and slim girls who can not help their physique no matter what they do, so please I do not mean to offend you in any way. I am speaking about this in general terms, thus not specific to anyone or any case.

And to that end, here are some of my favorite shots of Beyoncé:





Photos: sportsillustrated.com

No comments: